Wednesday 29 October 2014

Week 9 : Baking for a wedding

Cupcake and cake pop bonanza!

 

Very late post this week, but it was a special week. I was asked to bake for my brother in law wedding.
They wanted cupcake to use as place setting and cake pops for the sweet table.
Earlier on in the year, I had arranged a tasting with them and they decided on three flavour: lemon, vanilla and caramel. 
As I am working full time I tried to be as organised as possible. I took one day of work and did all my order online. Food arrived on the Wednesday as planned but unfortunately the boxes didn't... So on the Friday morning, after dropping T boy at nursery  I had to rush to the shop  before getting back home and starting a 6h baking Marathon.
This is the basic recipe I used for all three. 
Recipe from The hummingbird bakery, cake days

For the lemon I added the zest of three lemon, and for caramel I added 100g of dulce de leche. You can also used caramel sauce.
I was planning to core them and add caramel sauce or lemon curd in the middle but time was getting tight so I left it out. Instead for the caramel cupcake I mixed it with the icing.
For the lemon cupcake, I put some spoon of curd on the side of the icing bag before putting the icing and got a nice yellow and white swirl.
Unfortunately I don't have picture of most of the preparation as I was rushing so much.
For the cake pops, I made the red velvet one. 
Same one made in this post: http://theweeklybaker.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/week-4-part-1-red-velvet-cupcakes.html
 
 I used two different brand for the coating and added some vegetable oil for a smooth finish. One chocolate was a lot easier to use and gave a smoother result. I got it from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008E9BIWS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I was quite proud with all the hard work and relived when all was packed.

 Unfortunately some didn't travel as well as I wished. Some where a bit crushed when we arrived at the hotel. I couldn't quite face it so a and them in the fridge and only faced it the following day. I did have the good idea to take some spare icing with me. Most if them were fine and I just re-iced the other one. And here is the result:

Everyone loved them and the cake pop were also a success. Especially by T boy who keep going back for more!


No comments: