Wednesday 5 November 2014

Week 10, part 1: attempt at a lemon tart


Lemon tart trial:


After last week epic bake, I decided to take it easy and to do something that looked pretty simple: lemon tart. This is part of the great British bake off book. 
I had done sweet pastry previously pretty well and the lemon filling looked straightforward as not a lemon curd. That what I thought anyway...
So I set up to do the pastry, followed the instruction... It said to chill if butter was not cold, mine was and to be honest didn't want to wait... So I spread it, lined it, covered the hole... Because yes, it was too soft to spread properly... Then I chilled it.
I then discovered that I didn't have any baking paper, another lazy moment and decided to use foil. That should do... Well, it didn't... It stuck to the pastry and gave it a funny texture. Oh, I also over baked it because I hadn't read the whole recipe (lazy moment number 3)... I took it too far before taking the baking beans out so then the side were burned.
I carried on anyway, at this point too much effort had gone in. I then went one making the filling which was straightforward except I didn't have double cream so used crème fraiche instead. As I poured it in I saw that some piece of pastry ended up in the filling.
Came out looking alright, let it rest then served it for dinner.
This was husband face:

First question was: What did you put in it?....
To be fair didn't looked great, and worst when I cut in it. It was like the filling got mixed up with the pastry... But it tested really nice really sharp..
So conclusion of this baking: lazy day is no good for baking day.

No comments: