Monday 6 October 2014

Week 7, part 1: Brandy snaps

 Brandy Snaps



Another late one... Sometimes it is just quite difficult to find the time to sit and write the blog...
This week I decided to attempt a more technical recipes and the brandy snaps looked pretty good. The recipe is not that complicated but need a lot of concentration. Which is probably why it might not have been such a great idea to attempt it hungover after a night out in the town with some crazy work colleague . And this is the result:


But after I realised that no, the recipe is not wrong but my oven was set too high, I persevered and got some pretty good result.
The difficulties I had was with size and timing... I found that a rounded teaspoon made it too large. Then they collapse in the middle if it was too hot or not cooked enough. To avoid it, I rolled it around the spoon then waited that it felt harder to slid it down.
I made some changes in the main ingredients mainly because it's all I could find in the corner shop and didn't feel like walking to the next shop... So I put light brown sugar instead of demerara and golden syrup maple syrup instead of the normal one.
For decoration I used 75%cacao chocolate left over from the cookies but everyone found it too strong and you could not taste the nuts or the brandy snap. It can also be served  with whipped cream piped in the middle but to be honest I tried to whip some cream but gave up as I didn't have the strength!
I personally found them just OK but others loved it...


No comments: