Sunday 12 October 2014

Week 7, part 2: icing and yoghurt cake

 Yoghurt cake and icing



Ok, yes this one is late! But that means more post this week!
Lately on top of the baking I have been trying to improve my piping icing techniques. I always look at pictures of cakes and think how do they do it... My one never look that good.
I have been watching different you tube video and then I got it, the secret to nice icing is.... A bigger nozzle.... Yes, as simple as this. So went to the shop and bought two big nozzles, a round one and a star one. I found it even easier to use as I put them directly in piping bag and it make it quicker to ice cakes.
On Saturday, I was going to a bridal shower and decided to put my new skills to the test. I bake a simple cake and used a buttercream with pink food coloring, I used the star nozzles to make some pretty roses. Ended looking fairly impressive.
 The cake is a yogurt cake, it is really easy to do and great to bake with children. Once you have the basic batter you can add anything in it. I sometimes add fruits, cocoa powder or will split the batter keep one simple or vanilla and the other one chocolate. To have a nice marble effect you need to put the chocolate mix on top.

Here the recipe for the yoghurt cake:

1 pot of Yoghurt  (You can use any type of yoghurt. The size of the pot is a small pot, activia type.)
Using the yoghurt pot to measure:
2 pots of flour
2 pots of sugar
½ pot of oil
3 eggs
½ packet of baking powder
Put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and put in a tin. (Oil or butter up the tin first) 
Bake for about 30 minutes at 200°c .
Then enjoy!

No comments: