Monday 29 December 2014

First sale: 60th birthday cake


I am back! In a new kitchen and with the dream kitchen tool:

Early christmas present

It has not been used yet but will get it's baptism this weekend, when I bake for a little get together.

This week, it's all about the first cake that I sold. 

A friend asked me to bake a cake for her mum 60th birthday. We agreed on a yogurt cake with vanilla buttercream. I used the following recipes for a cake for about 20 people:

For 20 persons minimum:- 4 pots of yogurt
- 4 yogurt pots of sugar
-12 yogurt pots of flour
-12 eggs
- 28g baking powder
- 3 pots of oil

And I used this buttercream recipe for filling, covering and borders: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicbuttericing_73263

I used two layer of buttercream to cover the cake.
For the borders I decided to use two different style . 




The bottom one was great to make it neater. I used this tip:


For the top one I used a close star tip, and in the same way it helped to make it neater especially on the edge. 

  
The yogurt cake make a crust that can be scratchy (very technical term here!). 

For the roses I decided to use shop bought buttercream as I thought it would be firmer and easier. Well it wasn't... Once I had mixed in the icing it was quite loose and roses were not holding. I tried putting it in fridge but wasn't having it... Then I checked internet and found a tutorial that was mentioning adding icing sugar. And it worked great, after 2 frustrating hours I was able to make roses. 




I used this tutorial on you tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YKzh8jWJQY

Was quite proud of the result!


No comments: